What is a Comprehensive Plan?
The Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan is the long-range plan that will guide the development and investments made in our city over the next two decades.
In order to create a plan that will serve all Charlotteans, we need feedback from you. This plan depends on our city actively collecting and incorporating your thoughts—how do we want Charlotte to grow over the next 20 years? How can this plan shape the future of the places we live, work, shop, and play, making sure Charlotte continues to the vibrant and unique city we know it is? The Charlotte Future 2040 plan will provide the framework for all of these questions, and more.
Why Is Charlotte Doing One?
Charlotte is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States. With your help, we are creating a plan that will guide us through how we address the city’s growth and how we invest in the city over the next 20 years. Many U.S. cities have plans like this one, but Charlotte has not had a comprehensive plan since 1975. Once completed, it will be a living document that takes community input and ideas and turns them into actions.
It is the roadmap to creating a vibrant city that offers opportunities and amenities for everyone. We are in this together.
The Charlotte Future 2040 Plan will be beneficial in number of ways. It will help us to:
- Identify what practices and plans we should keep and what should change;
- Develop plans to identify and address our opportunities and challenges in various areas;
- Create a path for our city’s growth that is clear and easy to understand that serves as the foundation for our community’s vision;
- Address important issues that affect our community’s sense of equity, such as access to public transportation, affordable housing, affordable and nutritious food and more;
- Serve as a shared vision for Charlottes’ growth and development that is endorsed by our entire community;
- Provide an updated Blueprint that guides how land is used, what infrastructure we invest in and how new policies are developed; and
- Provide steps that outline how we start to live the plan and how we measure its s success.
Why Should You Care?
Charlotte is YOUR City and this is Your Plan. This plan will help us decide how we build the places we live, work and play in. This plan sets priorities for the City as we address housing, transportation, parks, and everything that goes into living in Charlotte. By participating in this process, you help shape the future. Use your voice, share your thoughts and let’s make charlotte what you want it to be for you, your children, and your grandchildren.
All viewpoints will be heard and this plan, that we are creating, will incorporate these perspectives. As we create this plan, we will update existing policies and programs while identifying ways to address the existing gaps.
Check out the VIRTUAL OPEN HOUSE available everyday until April 26.